Thursday, February 5, 2009

Shock, Shock, Horror, It's Actually Not That Bad

The View's new album "Which Bitch?" was approached initially with extreme caution. That song "Same Jeans" really did do my head in a few years ago. I haven't heard as many Scottish accents since The Proclaimers were eulogising about a letter from America. To be honest I was a bit sceptical about the whole album and my first few listens seemed to confirm my suspicions that this was destined to be an instantly forgettable new release which was going to be appearing in bargain bins all over the country (that is if any of the High Street chains remain open).

However after giving the album more than the cursory listen or two I must admit that the whole thing has grown on me. "Shock Horror" is one very cool song with a video that is guaranteed to get played on all the music station and will come pretty close to topping the charts. Even the Paulo Nutini collaboration "Covers" isn't half bad as much as it pains me to admit. It really is a non-offensive album that will propel the band to more mainstream success I would imagine. It's worth a listen though (there is enough variety to keep you interested) and not a complete waste of hard earned money. One thing though "Gem Of A Bird" is a dead ringer for the song of that Juno soundtrack by the Mouldy Peaches.

No comments: